Thursday, August 28, 2014

The One in the Afternoon

Every afternoon my homeroom comes back to me for twenty minutes at the end of the day.  Last year I tried to get them to read or do homework.  It was a fight every day and we all ended up frustrated.  I was off to that same kind of afternoon this year.

And then it hit me.

Instead of trying to selfishly use that time to grade papers and tidy up my desk I could read a book to my students.

Have you ever had an idea like this?  You know when you think to yourself...Why have I never thought of this before?

It seemed like an especially good idea because...well...my students could benefit from some extra reading time if you know what I mean.

What students couldn't benefit really?

So I text my best friend who is a former librarian and asked for a book recommendation.  She immediately text back .


I sped drove to the county library right after school and checked it out.  We started reading it this afternoon.

That last twenty minutes of my day was perfect.  Students sat quietly and listened to the story.  They laughed at the funny parts.  Some worked on homework while they listened.

And no one was frustrated.

The only problem?

What will we read when we finish this book?


6 comments: