Wednesday, June 5, 2019

A New Adventure

Today I slept in late, enjoyed some spontaneous time with family, and soaked up a few rays by the pool.

Summer is in full swing.

And I am here for it!

But I'm also all about some planning and dreaming and prepping for the upcoming school year.

And that's okay too.

I'm excited and ready to get started.

I will be in a new school district next year teaching 7th Grade Math which happens to be my favorite of all the things to teach.  

Last year was a weird year for me as far as teaching goes. And if I'm being honest it wasn't the most enjoyable year of my teaching career.  I didn't get to do much teaching and because of that I am eager to get back into the classroom and do my thing.

So today I took the risk  of looking like an eager beaver and I contacted my principal about getting into my new classroom.  I was dying to see it.

My husband and I just got back from an AMAZING ten day road trip.  By the end of the trip I was just busting at the seams to get home and start working on all things school.

So today was the day.  I walked into my new classroom for the first time.

My first thought?

Well dang!  The current teacher has moved out yet and I can't get started.

But I've been there and I totally get it.  She can't move until her new room is vacated.

So my disappointment was quickly replaced with big dreams and excitement.



I took note of all the storage and the two mini bulletin boards.  My brain started racing with ideas of how to arrange the desk.  







I noticed that burnt orange wall.  See it?  The wall that doesn't fit my usual color scheme of black and neon?  

And then I let my mind shift and begin to explore other theme ideas.  I'm not ready to accept any of them but dreams and ideas are beginning to form.

My eyes began to see a space where students would feel loved and free to be themselves.  I began to see a space where students would grow as mathematical thinkers.  I began to see a space where students would want to spend time.

I began to see the relationships that will no doubt be built.  I began to see the growth in me that would take place within these four walls.

You see it's not about the building.  It's not about how new or how old the building might be.  It's not about a certain color scheme.  

It's about the relationships and the bonds that are formed within the space.  

That is what creates a space for learning.

This room is now mine.

Mine and and about 130 students'.  

Students I cannot wait to meet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment