Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The One With Writing and Numbers

I'm still here. Life has been crazy busy. I can't seem to put together a post about what has been going on in my classroom.

In uploading some new things to my TPT store, I realized that I never blogged about an activity that I did in math at the beginning of the year. I must say that I really enjoyed this assignment. I came up with the idea while doing a top ten list on my personal blog.

Students write a short essay about themselves using numbers. I put in requirements such as having three numbers that were not whole numbers. They had to include a number greater than one hundred and a number less than one.

It really required them to be creative. I wrote an example about myself to give them. It is things like converting your height to centimeters instead of feet or inches. It gets them a larger number and gives them practice converting.

All numbers must be written as words which can be challenging for some of them.

I loved reading about my students and getting to know them. It was also an easy way to incorporate literacy into my math class.

This assignment is now for sale in my TPT store. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment