Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Your Best Classroom Resource

What is the best resource in your classroom?

Is it technology?

Is it your classroom library?

Is it those interactive notebooks?



When I asked teachers on Instagram what they believed was the number one best resource in their classroom, most of them answered with something related to physical environment.

Anchor charts.

Education Posters.

Cute classrooms are fun.  I love to see all the hard work pay off when teachers spend countless hours  making their classroom cute and all themed out.

I do a bit of that myself.

But don't forget your classroom should be a resource for your students.

The best classroom resource I have?

The four walls that make up my classroom.

Not sure what I'm talking about?

Make your classroom fun and bright and welcoming.

Add your own style and flair to it.

But do it in a way that can be useful to students.

I love me some color in my classroom.

I add a lot of color to my walls with these Math ABC posters.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

They are both colorful and a great resource for my students.

I cannot tell you how many times my students refer to these posters.

"Oh yeah, that word is on our ABC wall." 

While these posters add a lot of color to our classroom walls, there is also a lot of blank space when my students walk in on the first day of school.

And it isn't because I ran out of time or money to decorate that space.

It's not because I forgot about that part of the room.

It is done intentionally to leave room for all the anchor charts we will create as a class throughout the year.


Give your students visual cues that will help them understand and verbalize their own thinking.





And of course I'm always in favor of using space to encourage students to have a growth mindset.  I believe this is just as important if not more important than content related things on the walls of our classroom.
No photo description available.

No photo description available.

What's on your classroom walls?

Is your classroom a resource for your students?

Leave me a comment and let me know your number one best resource.

Let's chat again soon.

Elaina

No comments:

Post a Comment