Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The One with the Interview

The school district I work for is looking to hire a new 4th grade math & science teacher to start immediately.  Today my principal asked me to serve on the interviewing committee as one of the math experts.

I have never been on that side of the table before.  I'm a little excited and a little nervous all at the same time.  I think it will be a good experience for me to have.

I am supposed to come prepared with my own questions to ask the different candidates.  

I know what I think makes a good teacher, but I'm not sure how to work that into interview questions.

So I'm curious.  If you had the opportunity to serve on an interviewing committee what is the one questions you would want to ask the candidates?


3 comments:

  1. In Illinois, we use an online system for application, which includes a bunch of essays. Almost every single district asks, "In your opinion, what makes an outstanding teacher?" I imagine this is asked often because the answers are pretty revealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate enough to sit in on the interview process for our school's ELA department. Since I would be working closely with whomever they hired, I had a few questions myself about specific teaching styles and curriculum ideas that I was concerned with. I made it a point to submit them to the SBC--- who was conducting the interview. I also think it is important to ask a teacher why they are drawn to your particular district or area. We live in a really remote place and I find it interesting to see what draws teachers to our school. It also helps us determine longevity when we interview, which ultimately is great for any school. Turnover always makes things hard and it takes a toll on your students!
    Good luck! I hope you find the candidate you need and that you enjoy the interview process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask them about their view on technology integration. Have they heard of the SAMR Model? If so, how have they used it to plan integration in their own classroom? I also like to ask them "What do you want your students to do with technology?" using Bill Ferriter's idea as a guide (http://www.flickr.com/photos/plugusin/9223386478/).

    ReplyDelete