Friday, June 7, 2013

The One With The Summer To Do List

Summer break has officially started. 

I spent three days earlier this week working on common core units for 5th grade Math.  Though I still have a long ways to go, I'm off to a good start.  

Elementary is a whole new world to me.  Bulletin Boards in the hallway.  Holiday parties.  Homeroom.  

I've given my new coworkers a few good laughs with my middle school minded thoughts.  

Speaking of new coworkers.  They are so nice & helpful.  And they go on and on about what a great school QES is to work for.  

I'm still mourning the loss of my HG fam, but I'm excited about this new adventure.

I was able to see my new classroom this week.  It's a complete blank canvas.



I'll admit I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it.  I don't know what I was expecting.  My classroom is always blank when I start working on it.

The teacher who was previously in this room showed me some pictures of how she had it set up last year.  

The pictures restored my faith that the room can be cute once I add some color.

I cannot wait to get in there and start adding color and making it my own with lots of owls and chevron.

It hit me last night that some elementary teachers change their theme every year.  Since I will be teaching 5th and 6th grade, therefore have the same students twice in a row, I will want to change my theme.  

My mind is already on what I would like to do next.  

My mind is also thinking about a hundred other things.  I've been trying to mentally put together my summer to do list.  So far it looks like this.

1. Finish units for 5th grade.
2.  6th grade units
3. Give filing cabinets a make over
4. Repurpose a piece of furniture for my classroom - Have no idea what I want or need, but I still want to do it. Ha!


I'm sure it will grow as summer goes on.  

What is on your summer to do list?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congrats on moving to elementary!! That is so exciting! I know, it is so weird to see how classrooms can be transformed from complete blank canvases into beautiful, colorful rooms! It is always hard to picture at first though! I can't wait to see pictures of how your room turns out!! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete