Sunday, April 13, 2014

The One with the Big Test

This past week my students completed the Benchmark test for what we believe might have been the last time.  We are told next year students will take the PARCC.

If you have ever administered a week long test, I don't have to tell you how exhausting it is.

For students and administrators.

It makes for a long week.

I am proud of how hard my students worked all week long.

I tested sixth graders this year so it was the first time I only had to administer the test for four days instead of the five.

Not going to lie.  That was nice.

This week of testing always gives me lots of time to reflect on my teaching and to begin thinking about the upcoming year.

This year my mind spent a lot of time thinking about interactive notebooks.  I've used them before in Science and in History, but never in Math.

Next year is the year.  I'm going to do it.

I have found a wonderful resource in Jennifer at 4mulafun.  I have spent many hours over the past week reading her blog, checking things out in her TPT store, and watching her videos on YouTube.

I also experienced two firsts during this testing week.  On Thursday, our last day of testing, one of my sweet girls got sick and threw up during testing.  At the time we had two minutes left of that session and then one test left to take so I guess her timing was good.  I felt so bad for her.  I know getting sick in front of people like that can be an embarassing experience.  Of course the other students were flipping out.  It definitely added a little excitement to our week of testing.

My other first?  Saturday School!  We missed 14 days of school this year due to bad weather.  Yesterday we made up one of those days with Saturday school.  Needless to say Saturday School is not my favorite.  Yesterday was 1 of 3 Saturdays that we will be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment