Sunday, September 8, 2013

The One With Skip Counting

Do your students struggle with their multiplication facts or skip counting?

My students struggle with certain facts - sixes are especially hard for them.

Last week when it was time to line up for lunch I decided to try something new.  I was pleasantly surprised when my students LOVED it and asked to do it every time we line up.

We decided to skip count by six as we lined up. 

I began by saying 6.

I then randomly selected a student.  That student gave the next number and then lined up.  In this case the student said 12.

We continued this until all 27 students were lined up.  

One of the students pointed out that we just did all the multiplication facts of six up to 28.

They were pretty proud of themselves.

I was pretty proud of them.

We will continue to skip count by 6 until we can do it without even thinking about it and then we will move on to a new number.


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. It helps students with multiplication facts and it's fun!

    ReplyDelete