Friday, June 1, 2012

The One With Girls, Drums, & Dangerous Pie

Quick.  Last adult novel you read?  I don't know about you, but I have a hard time answering that question at this moment.  I have been reading young adult novels just as fast as I can.

I thought I'd share my latest read as I absolutely loved it!!!


It is about a 8th grade boy who struggles to understand his world.  He learns that his little brother, whom he normally sees as a pest, has leukemia.  He has to deal with that along with trying to understand the ways in which his parents are dealing with that news.  Not to mention those girls at school that he just doesn't understand.

This is one of those books that made me laugh and cry.  There were points in the book where the tears were just flowing.  A few pages later I'd be laughing out loud. 

I plan to read this book with my students next year.  I cannot wait.  I dare say it is my favorite young adult novel so far!  Jordan Sonnenblick grabbed me from the very beginning and held my attention completely until the very end.  It's a quick and easy read.  It took me just a couple of hours.  

If you are looking for something to read this summer, please add this to your list.  You won't regret it.  Be sure to come back and let me know what you thought.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book! Did you know there is a sequel? It is about the younger brother when he is a little older! You will love it as well. It is titled After Ever After.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Sonnenblick was Zen and the Art of Faking It until Curveball came out-- everything he does is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this book. I read it with my kiddos in the 11-12 school year, and we read the whole thing aloud in about 3 weeks. They begged and begged to just read. It is one of my favorite teacher memories! I also had several read After Ever After this school year- it was nominated for a Truman award in Missouri (where I teach). Great books, great author!

    ReplyDelete