Friday, September 16, 2011

The One With the Reading War

Have you seen one of those bulletin boards with a map of the United States that says "Reading Will Take You Places"? Maybe you have even had one in your room. I have one in my room for the first time this year.

Our school is all about encouraging literacy. At first thought I would just put the bulletin board up in my room and be done with it. The idea grew from there. Students tend to be motivated by competition. I decided to declare war on the 8th grade.

We are having a competition to see which grade can read a book from all fifty states first. It is going really well. Our students are constantly coming to me and letting me know where their book took place.

It's great!

1 comment:

  1. I have that board too! The kids love tracking the settings of their books on the map! And I teach middle schoolers!

    ❤ Mor ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete